SHAFAQNA (Shia International News Association) -- Imam Reza (A.S) based his inferences on the teachings of the Holy Qur’an. Following are some of the examples.
1. With regard to obligation of fasting if one could not fast during the month of Ramadhan and offering of atonement if the sick person’s health improved between the two consecutive months of Ramadhan, but did not fast, he referred to the following verse: “And he who does not find [a slave] - then a fast for two months consecutively before they touch one another; and he who is unable - then the feeding of sixty poor persons.” 58:4) (1)
2.With regard to the reason that one-fifth of what one obtains in war booty is the Imams’ share, he referred to the following verse: “And know that anything you obtain of war booty - then indeed, for Allah is one fifth of it and for the Messenger and for [his] near relatives”(8:41)(2)
3. With regard to the reason of chanting Takbir in Eid’s prayers, he referred to the following verse: “and to glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful.”(2:185)(3)
4. With regard to the prohibition of giving alms to the Prophet’s household, he referred to the following verse: “Zakat expenditures are only for the poor and for the needy”. (4)
5. With regard to the reason of necessity of paying alms (Zakat), he referred to the following verse: “You will surely be tested in your possessions and in yourselves.” (3:186)(5)
Some of Imam’s reasoning has been briefly mentioned, but for further reading one might refer to the reliable resources.
1. Ibid, Vol. 7, P.246.
2. Ibid, Vol. 6, P. 359
3. Ibid, Vol. 5, P. 105
4. Ibid, Vol. 6, PP. 359, 360
5. Ibid, Vol. 6, P. 5.